Miracle in Hohenstein! (July 18, 2016)

Familie Tobal 

This week was the longest week of my mission so far! But I saw the Lords hand in our week helping us. I wish to speak of the miracle we had this week! :) 

We had basically... A white week... ;) We had about two appointments set for the week with our eternal investigators and had planned to go by on lots of less actives, former investigators, and A LOT of finding. I had hit a point during the week (about Thursday) where I was discouraged. This was the first time where had genuinely felt sick of people saying constantly saying, "Kein Zeit!" "Kein Intresse!" "Nein ich brauche dass nicht!" It was hard... We as missionaries carry this message of happiness from door to door... We invest so much time into the service of others... We give our heart to these people. And sometimes... In return we receive doors slammed in our faces. I felt as if everything I had been doing wasn't helping anything. And all I wanted was to just find one person. That's all I wanted!

Alma 26:28-30
"28 And now behold, we have come, and been forth amongst them; and we have been patient in our sufferings, and we have suffered every privation; yea, we have traveled from house to house, relying upon the mercies of the world--not upon the mercies of the world alone but upon the mercies of God.

29 And we have entered into their houses and taught them, and we have taught them in their streets; yea, and we have taught them upon their hills; and we have also entered into their temples and their synagogues and taught them; and we have been cast out, and mocked, and spit upon, and smote upon our cheeks; and we have been stoned, and taken and bound with strong cords, and cast into prison; and through the power and wisdom of God we have been delivered again.

30 And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some." 

So Thursday evening I was basically just done with the day. But Sister Gomez Bravo had told me of a family her and Sister Garnett met on the street. They never ended up teaching them or anything but she said they were really nice! So I said, "alright, might as well go by on them!" And that's what we did. We Klingled the apartment and they let us in! Immediately... I loved this family.

Familie Tobal! They have two kids a ten year old and an eight year old. They are from Syria. The parents don't speak much English or German. The Mom knows enough to communicate, the Dad has a hard time learning it. Both kids are in school here in Germany and so they speak some German enough to get by and to help their parents. (I would tell you their names but I can't spell them yet haha!) We basically communicate through German and Google Translate from German to Arabsich! 

My first time meeting them was Thursday evening. We sat down in their kitchen and the whole family gathered around us! We immediately clicked! We did our best to tell them who we were and what we believed in. With the help of Google Translate... They understood. The wife told us that her family is Muslim and she no longer practices or believes it really, and her husband is Kurdisch. We continued to talk and the night was filled with laughter as I tried speaking Kurdisch to them, and the kids laughing at my facial expressions! (They are two of the sweetest kids I have ever met.) We had brought a Book of Mormon in Arabsich with us. We pulled it out and handed it to the Father... His face lit up!! I have never seen such pure joy!! He immediately read the introduction to the Book of Mormon in front of us! When he finished he looked at us, gave us a thumbs up with the biggest smile you've ever seen and said, "Gut!" And motioned to himself asking if he could keep the book! We said, "Ja! Natürlich!" And his excitement grew! He literally hugged the book! So we proceeded to give him an Arabsich restoration pamphlet... And he read the whole pamphlet to his wife right there! And was explaining things to her! He loved it! But the highlight of that night was yet to come... We shared the video, "Dank Ihm" with them. This video speaks of what Jesus Christ had done for us through only words that pop up on the screen. The words were of course in German... So of course this family wasn't going to understand them. But as we watched this film together I was praying that they would understand... And that they would feel something. And as I prayed... I looked up at the mother of this beautiful family... And saw tears streaming down her face. She felt the Spirit. When the film ended... She looked up at me and said, "ich verstehe." (I understand) my heart was so full!!! We made another appointment for Saturday.

Saturday rolled around and I was so excited to meet with this sweet family. We wanted to make sure they truly understood our purpose as missionaries, and we wanted to make absolute certain they were interested. We went to their sweet little apartment and met in the same little kitchen together. We asked the husband if he had been reading and that same big smile appeared as he nodded his head, "Ja!" Again the night was filled with laughter and joy as we spent time together. They invited us to their house to make food this Wednesday! (Quite the coincidence because we had planned to ask them to meet on Wednesday anyway... Haha!) We were able to receive the "Hallelujah" video with Arabsich subtitles and we shared it with them. Once more... The same reaction towards the message of Jesus Christ... Pure joy. The Spirit was so strong. I asked the Dad to bring me the restoration pamphlet... He grabbed it and handed it to me. On the front of this pamphlet is a picture of Jesus Christ holding a lamb. I asked the family, "what do you see in this picture?" The mother answered, "Jesus holding a lamb!" In response I asked, "and how is He holding this lamb?" And her response was, "with love!" I said, "with love. Exactly! Would you like to know how to feel this same love from our Savior, Jesus Christ?" The family looked a each other... And the mother with tears in her eyes said, "Yes, we do!" They truly genuinely want it! Not only can I hear it in their response... But I could see it in their eyes!!! I continued to tell them that our job is to help them accomplish that. And that if they do the things we ask them... Their family will be strengthened, they will be happy, and feel love, comfort, and peace from their Savior. Sister Gomez Bravo gave her testimony of Jesus Christ beautifully! As we were leaving that night... I told them that we loved them and were praying for them. And the family responded in their newly learned German, "Wir lieben dich auch!" And gave us big hugs. We now have four new investigators in Hohenstein.

Alma 26:31
"31 Now behold, we can look forth and see the fruits of our labors; and are they few? I say unto you, Nay, they are many; yea, and we can witness of their sincerity, because of their love towards their brethren and also towards us."

The Lord had truly blessed us because of our labors. This family is a blessing to me. I felt completely useless... But the Lord is now trusting me to take care of this dear family... And to bring them closer to Him. I want more then anything to make Him proud. And live up to the things He asks of me... At times I have let Him down... But because He loves me He continues to be with me... Through my mistakes, my struggles, my disappointment, etc. He is always there. 

D&C 6:32-34
32 Verily, verily, I say unto you, as I said unto my disciples, where two or three are gathered together in my name, as touching one thing, behold, there will I be in the midst of them--even so am I in the midst of you.

33 Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward.

34 Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail.

We were not called to fail. The Lord walks with us daily as we go about striving to do good, striving to be better, to stretch ourselves, to learn. The Lord through our difficult times, and our afflictions... Helps us to grow, helps us learn patience... When we are diligent He expands our understanding. And when we are ready... He sends us those who are prepared. I'm grateful my mission is not easy... Because through it... I am changing. The Lord is shaping me into the woman He needs in His kingdom. I still am far from perfect... And I still disappoint Him at times. But He loves me. And He is patient with me. I'm so grateful for His patience and never failing love. 

I love this Gospel. This is the only true church upon the earth! The church belongs to Christ Himself! It is His gospel that was restored to the earth... And He has asked that we bring those without this truth unto Him. Do all you can to help the work roll forth. It is our job as members to do so! I promise when you reach out to others... Your heart will be full, and your joy will be great! I have felt this joy... It is real. 

I love you all! Sorry this was long, but it is important to me! Have a wonderful week. Praying for you always!

Liebe Grüße,
Sister Darton 


P.s. My six month mark is this Wednesday!!! Crazy right!? One year until Mexican Food!! ;) haha!!

More of Hohenstein

Cool fountain in Hohenstein... One of the only cool things to see haha!! ;) 

More Hohenstein 

Look who I found! ;)
We went to a church today!! It was really pretty!!


We basically have the best GML in all of Germany!! He drew the Plan of Salvation for us and told us to come and see it!! He was able to give out a ton of temple invites and invited a few people to church as he was drawing this... Thank you Bruder Hengst!!


*Video*

Popular Posts